Saturday 30 July 2011

Drumming Emergency!


Two weeks ago I took an Occupational First Aid course. I thought this would be a good skill to learn. As usual I started off with my zestful optimistic self. This is going to be easy, no sweat. Well, it was far from easy it was intense! I studied every night 4-5 hours to the point my brain was ready to explode!. When it was time to go through some emergency scenarios I found myself screwing up over and over again. I was getting frustrated and it only got worse. The trouble was I was trying too hard. The harder I tried the worse it got. This seems to be a pattern I sometimes fall into. I recently discovered a book written by Dr. James Richards called Wired for Success Programmed for Failure, in the book it says TRYING is making a statement to the HEART that you are NOT what you BELIEVE you are . The harder you try to convince yourself what you are the more the Heart thinks your not. This was very profound to me. I would get hard on myself if I didn't get it right away. It just kept compounding to the point my brain just froze like a computer. I was thinking too much and not trusting or believing in the process, not going with the flow. During my course I was in a car accident that gave me whip-lash. That certainly slowed me down. Life sure has a way of showing you what you need. I realized that I had gotten caught up with the mind and not the heart to carry me through. Drumming reminded me to follow the beat of my heart. I was in cardiac arrest and now my heart is beating to the flow of life. Next time I try something new I will gently remind myself to breath and believe in myself, that my heart will guide me. The mind (ego) can be treacherous, down right insane!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a talented writer with a way of expressing the unknown in a manner that lights the imagination by sending a beacon into the murky areas of knowledge that is unobserved by most of us. In plain English, Michelle, you are very good and will, I hope, have great success in your writing career.

Mike Harvey

Carolyna said...

So glad you feel so good in the aftermath of trauma. You are a bright light.
Carolyna